The McIlwaine House
Old Towne Petersburg, Virginia
MIlwaine House
425 Cockade Alley
Petersburg, Virginia 23803  


            For 37 years, the McIlwaine House sat dormant as one of Petersburg’s unrestored historic treasures.  This Federal-style frame residence was built around 1794 by Erasmus Gill and was later owned by George H. Jones, Mayor of Petersburg, in 1815-16.  It takes its name from Archibald Graham McIlwaine, a Petersburg industrialist and financier, who made it his residence from 1831-78.  The McIlwaine family lived in the house until it was relocated to its present site in 1971 after being saved from demolition.

 

            A fascinating feature is that the interior was made entirely of wood by highly skilled craftsmen, with no plaster ornamentation used in the design.  The current owner has replaced or repaired damaged woodwork to replicate the missing original elements. 

 

Another discovery was the original paint color of the parlor wing (known as the “Petersburg Room”).     Under 20 coats of white paint, a brilliant coral was found and has been recreated to restore the room to its early grandeur.  Also discovered were the original faux-oak wainscoting below the chairrail and the faux-marble on the baseboards.  Paint analysis was done by Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s paint conservator in all rooms on the first floor, and the current paint colors match the original colors.  The Smithsonian has called the Petersburg Room one of the most outstanding rooms of woodwork in America.

 

            The basement was previously used as the City Visitor Center and has been converted into a wine bar.  The house is furnished as it was for the Historic Garden Week Tour and the APVA/Preservation Virginia event held at the house in April, 2010.  The McIlwaine House is on the National Register of Historic Places, is a Virginia Historic Landmark, and is owned by Mr. Alexander C. (Sandy) Graham, Jr.


A Perfect Setting . . .

            Weddings
            Wedding Receptions
            Cocktail Parties
            Birthday Parties
            Corporate Meetings
            Retreats
            Anniversaries
            Holiday Gatherings
            Garden Parties

        Rentals start at $350
 

Directions:

 

            Heading North or South on I-95N, take the Washington Street exit; go 3 blocks on Washington Street to Sycamore Street and turn right; go 5 blocks to end of Sycamore Street; turn right – McIlwaine House is straight ahead.

 

            From Colonial Heights via M. L. King Bridge, turn right at light on Bollingbrook Street; go 1 block to Cockade Alley and turn right; proceed 1 block to McIlwaine House on right.




For more information please contact Sandy Graham, (804) 357-1053, sgraham@mcilwainehouse.com 
Web Hosting Companies